Friday, April 24, 2009

Weather Beaten


14x18 oil on linen

I really wanted to capture the effects of our Texas sun here. Not just in the glare of the barn yard, but in the worn and weathered look of the woodwork, the baked earth and the cowboy's features. I had a lot of fun with this painting. I think that painting something I would not normally pick was a good excuse to push myself and to take some risks. I put in heavy thick strokes of pure white, left the intense blue in the shadow and had it bouncing in other areas and I put my focal point rather far left in the painting. I like it.

4 comments:

Sherrie Russ Levine said...

oooooooooooh, love this one!

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

I agree, this is a fantastic painting, you met your goals with it!

I hope you and your husband get some definate answers soon, the unknown is hard to take.

Leslie Saeta said...

You absolutely have captured that weather-beaten Texas feel here. And you even have captured a great expression on his face ... and yet used such loose brush strokes. Amazing!

Silver Sage Gallery said...

Nice painterly work. Love these western paintings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...