Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Tyler Trumpets


A page from my sketchbook in casein

I've discovered a new medium thanks to James Gurney. I was intrigued by his use of casein in his sketches and wanted to try it. (you must look at and follow his blog!) I found a small set at a local art supply store and set to work last night. I like it a lot. For one thing, I can sit on the couch with my family in the evening and sketch. Casein paint is a water soluble medium made with milk proteins as a binder and it is permanent.

I've drawn and painted this man before so you probably recognize him. He is a very talented street musician in New Orleans. I thought of my nephew while painting this - he is a trumpet player in his high school band. Their band has had some wonderful opportunities to perform. Most recently during the Cleveland Browns football game. Unfortunately, my nephew is ill and was unable to join them. 

I still need to research casein more but I think I will like being able to sketch and develop painting ideas with it. I think I will need a couple more colors - a better red and green choice for sure. The Shiva set I bought has "Shiva" green (thalo?), an unusually bright ultramarine blue, rose red and Naples yellow as well as black and white.

4 comments:

Sergio DS said...

I love jazz music, in fact my next exhibition in Valencia (Spain) is all about jazz.

Great painting, I like so much.
(I don´t recognize him ¿?)

Be happy!

suzanneberry said...

your work is so masterful. i just soak up your work every time i visit!
amazing!!!!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

This is simply wonderful, Robin. I've been wanting to try the medium too and figure it will be more handy for packing along for a plane trip than oils. Thanks for sharing!

Jody Regan said...

Great design, great shapes, and movement. Powerful. I'm intrigued, and will try casien as well..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...