Friday, May 14, 2010

I know there is a painting in here....

...somewhere.



The setting- a farmer's market.
The story so far - tried to mass in using color. Wiped it off. Tried to draw it carefully and paint each section. Wiped it off.

The trouble is values. My head knows the logic, but my hand can't seem to make it happen. There are many colors and lots of different market "brick-a-brack" but I am not holding the correct values in full color.

So I reduced it to basically three values and am gratified to see that I am right, there is a painting in this scene! But to make it happen in color - there is the rub.

Stay tuned.


note: tomorrow we share our Moses-Botkin Monthly Challenge paintings!

4 comments:

Bridget Hunter said...

What an interesting post. I agree that values are really the most important element to get a painting to read correctly no matter how loosely painted. And in Scotland we call it tones!LOL.
Bridget

Stephen Washburn said...

Hi Robin, Iv'e been working with that too, changing the actual values around so the overall pattern does what I want it to.

Kind of like getting my tones in tune:)

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Great post Robin. I know values are always a great exercise.

Anonymous said...

What a great value study and the composition works. can't wait to see the final piece....my motto "simplify, simplify"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...