Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Platform


6x6 oil on panel
$100 + $6.50 s/h

I'm working on some subterranean scenes and enjoying the strange lighting effects found in the subways of NY. I want to do a large painting of the scene above and thought I'd do this smaller scale version. The trouble is, its a lot to fit into a tiny space. I find that trying to get a whole body into a 6x6 format is too restrictive. I find myself getting closer and closer to the painting, trying to sharpen the edges of my brush and paint tiny details. Luckily, I had to stop this a.m. to go to the gym and so ended it before I got too tight.

The E Train

12x8 oil on panel

Ask Castle Gallery about this painting.

This was done a week or so ago and I took it to Indiana with me for the reception. I'm working on a similar scene with a longer view of the train and more passengers. I was really proud of this painting when I finished it. My favorite part, oddly enough, is the reflections on the pole by the man!

5 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Robin... I just love your "people" paintings...
I'm curious.... When you do these little ones are they USUALLY done with a large one in mind or do you do most of them just for themselves?

My favorite is the guy on the bus.. It's fabulous!!!

A Painter's Journal said...

Hi Marian!
Usually I do these small paintings just for themselves. I find that certain scenes lend themselves to the small format especially well. This one didn't. I had the idea for the larger first and thought I'd practice. I think for me, a close-up view works best on a small scale.

John Fraissinet said...

Really love these NY shots. The framing of the top one, and the angle of the second are very interesting.

dawn chandler - new mexico artist said...

These are gorgeous.

Linny D. Vine said...

This is wonderful; loose with lots of light.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...