Friday, February 08, 2008

Musing

I mentioned in my previous post that my "muse" was off napping again. I do not really know how to describe it, but sometimes I just can't paint. I look and look and look at things and nothing inspires me. And I can't paint without that spark. I can try, but its like I am sleep walking.
So I took a break this week. I went sketching downtown. I tried to learn about watercolor journaling for upcoming family trips. I watched Ken Auster's video, "Intellect & Passion".

It made me wonder if artists like him, for instance, ever lose their inspiration? Or are they so well-trained and professional that they can paint whether they feel it or not. Is it automatic?
For me, it is not. And I've learned to live with these downtimes. Perhaps it means I am ready for another step, or growth in my work. Maybe I
have just tapped out the source and it has to replenish.

And it has, I think. My sketching and observing on Wednesday manifested itself into my dreams this a.m. and I woke up with some great ideas! Something that gave me energy and I could hardly wait to get up and start.

Two problems there... I have to get my daughter up and ready for preschool and my panels are on order but not yet arrived!!

We could open up another rather controversial topic here maybe based on my first "problem".... why are male artists generally more successful and well-known than female artists? My theory is that they can go and shut themselves in their studio and do their thing without worrying about family. Not in the nurturing or care-taking sense maybe... perhaps their artistic drive is somewhat fueled by the "bread winner" instinct. They can paint for hours on end every day. Where many women have to take care of the house and children and too many other things to count and can't devote so much time to their art.

And so - I have the seeds of ideas in my head but must do other things while they germinate.

2 comments:

Carole Foret said...

Wow, Robin--I love your honesty. And I know your feeling right now. I think the 2 topics you speak of relate to each other. As a mom and wife and all the responsibilities that go with being those and constantly changing hats--it can stifle inspiration sometimes. I go through that alot. But you're doing the right thing reading and being inspired by other artist's ways and techniques. Your fire will start burning again! I love keeping up with your blog and watching your beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

Robin, I think your theory about the success of male vs. female artists could very well be right on the mark!

I am painting much more now than I used to - mainly because my four teenagers now know how to prepare their own lunch, do their own laundry, etc... When they were toddlers there was no way I could it!

Although I still stay busy these days, being the taxi driver, making dinner,... I have finally managed to fit in time to make art. It's always a struggle to keep up the schedule, but I won't give up if you won't, OK?
Nice work, by the way!
(I found your site thanks to empty easel)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...