Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Final Touches


12x8 oil on panel

Available at Castle Gallery.

This is something new for me, this lighter palette. I'm trying to lighten up a bit, use more neutrals to emphasize light and color. I think for a long time, in order to suggest or have areas that were empty, I would use dark washes. Its easier to pretend something is in shadow, and obscured if you just lose it in blacks and browns. But I think neutrals actually enhance colors and light better. And add more punch to darks as well.

You can probably guess my inspiration for this. The models were actually posing for some photos for us at Kim English's workshop. We didn't paint inside, but had them pose in our hostesses beautiful home. I wonder if Kim will paint this scene? And how his will compare. At any rate, I am really pleased.

6 comments:

Carol Marine said...

This is really beautiful, Robin! I love the lighter palette. But then I like your darker ones too. : )

Virginia Floyd said...

Really beautiful! I love the neutrals in this, and the backlight on the figures is really nice!

Caio Fern said...

lovely , very inspiring

Linda Popple said...

You should be pleased! This is really nice. I like your new palette and interesting to hear why you changed.

Anthony Duce said...

Enjoy the painting. Like the color choices.

V. Deshmukh said...

Very beautiful painting. The previous painting "Train Riders" has such a wonderful abstract quality to it. Its really one of my favourite!
Best wishes,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...