Monday, June 21, 2010

Two for Toulouse


14x11 oil on panel

Ask Studio 47 about this painting.

I'm not sure if others will like this as well as I do. But I needed to loosen up the other day after working on (and failing to complete) my triptych.

I get a little bored painting the gallery scenes when so many are white on white. So I converted this photo to grayscale and made up my own color scheme. I really tried to push the color and brush work. It felt really good.
I painted this corner of the Met more realistically too a week or so ago. I will post that one tomorrow. But I think I will do more paintings from black and white photos - I enjoyed my own interpretation, creating a more colorful, yet cohesive scene while I focused on values. Something I can always use practice with.

3 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Very nice, Robin. Look forward to seeing more.

Marian Fortunati said...

You've done a great job with the changes... It looks wonderful...

Linda Popple said...

Very nice, Robin. I like the colors you chose. Great idea to paint from a black and white photo. I always need help with values, which I find easy in black & white, but more difficult in color. I'm going to give it a try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...