Thursday, February 11, 2010

Village Market


8x10 oil on linen

I'm still playing and experimenting. I'm trying a few new colors. Playing with shadows and light and values. I've been reading Kevin Macpherson's book Landscape Painting Inside and Out. He has some really interesting exercises in there that I am also going to try, even if its not landscape painting.
This scene is from a farmers market in the West Village a couple of years ago. I bought the most delicious peaches there. Who knew!? I thought Georgia was the peach state, but there is a rival in New Jersey for sure.

6 comments:

dawn chandler - new mexico artist said...

As a born and bred Jersey Girl, I appreciate your shout-out regarding the Garden State's peaches! (I might add that their tomatoes and corn are equally superb.)

And I appreciate that a painter of your high caliber refers to books from time to time. Kevin McPherson's book is a favorite of mine; he's got some stunning work in there and very helpful points.

I love these village pieces of yours, Robin. Gorgeous dappling of light and shadow.

Roxanne Steed said...

Lovin' these latest works you've done...looks like you are back 'in the groove'?! I agree Macpherson's '...Inside & Out' is probably my FAVE painting book...great advice in there....

Dennis Dame said...

looks great!

-Don said...

Playing and experimenting are what keep this thing we do fun. Great job with "Village Market". I love everything about it - the composition, the colors, the shadows, the style, and especially your treatment of all the different whites.

-Don

Marian Fortunati said...

Beautifully done, Robin... This is a scene that could be terribly confusing, but you've made it simple and beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Robin...this is a great piece. I love the composition, the colors and the whites...all works!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...