Monday, March 17, 2008

Massing In

The pond exercise brought back to mind my workshop some years ago with Peggi Kroll Roberts (whom I so admire!) - she had us mass in our models with 2-3 values. This way you can capture people who move about on location more easily, developing more with more observation. The woman below is her example - a quick value study to show me how to do it.



Its almost like "posterizing" the image. Squint down and see all the darks, connecting them, as I did below with another model we had during that workshop.



Here I massed in all the darks with one color. I developed the light areas just a bit more. It definitely has a poster look about it. These were fun exercises and I need to remember them more often for my figurative and urban works! SQUINT!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...