Friday, August 24, 2007

Philip Marie Cafe



Saturday found our group in the west village at the corner of Bleeker and Hudson, along with a lovely farmer's market and a chilly breeze. Granted, I am from Texas, so 70 sometimes feels a trifle chilly to me. My first painting was hideous. I scraped it off eventually and did the one above on another panel. The trouble with the first one I think was that it was rough linen... and I have grown so used to gesso and clayboard that I could not get the paint to move on that canvas. But I was pleased with this second painting. Though I think the corner needs something - a light pole and signs, etc.
We were apparently very near some bakery that was made famous in "Sex in the City" and tour buses kept pulling up and parking in front of us blocking our views. Eventually, I was looking at the scene from the curb and walking back to my pochade box to paint. Perhaps that is why I left out details like lamps, lights, signs, etc.


Yours truly, stylin' in my apron and gloves, dutifully squinting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin,

Welcome to New York City, now I have the competition.

The name of that famous bakery is: "Magnolia Bakery". and I am ashamed to be a New Yorker and not painted it yet.

Painted Times Square for few years and now slowly starting to paint more of Greenwich Village and other neighboring areas. It has good old world smell and look, like most places in Europe.

Best regards,
Miro

http://nyframeofmind.blogspot.com/

Manuela Valenti said...

Hi Robin! you also paint with apron and gloves! I thought I was the only extra careful one =]

Thank you for stopping by my blog and have a terrific one!

MV./

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...