Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Cupcake Break


6x6 oil on panel
$100 + $12 s/h
Its been ages since I've done one of these small paintings. I've done some sketches on paper or loose canvas which were actually bigger. I think the trouble I have with this size is simplifying enough. I have to find a subject that is not busy, because rather than getting looser and being suggestive with the small format, I get tighter! I find that I work on these almost as long as a larger painting. I am not certain my efforts today were brilliant, but its a start as I try to get back to my blog's purpose!

These two girls were taking a break in a stoop in the West Village, the one eating a cupcake from Magnolia Bakery.

3 comments:

Leslie Saeta said...

Your work is brilliant today. I love the subject matter, brush stokes and looseness in the painting. Fantastic.

live.love.paint! said...

Robin, I LOVE your journal of our New York painting trip. It is awesome to see your paintings and the pictures posted. Thanks so much for putting this together. It made me feel being there again. Your blog is like a little escape... it inspires me. :-)

Bobbi Heath said...

This one is especially nice. You simplified the girls beautifully. And I agree, the whole NYC set of blog posts are just great. I love the buildings and the sense of the city.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...