Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Beach Study - Sunset II


6x6 oil on panel

This is the same sunset as I posted previously, but a little later. I had loaded my palette with alizarin crimson and cad yellow medium and couldn't get the true bright red/orange that was happening on that higher cloud, but this is the general feel of it. The next time, for the beach scenes I used scarlet red. I usually use a cad red hue from Sennelier, but I need to get new supplies when I get home. Didn't have a tube of ultramarine blue to travel with either and had to borrow one from my mom. Good thing she is an artist also and has lots of goodies to play with here. She mostly does watercolors though.

Below I thought I'd share a painting that I did a hundred years ago! Feels like it at least. It hangs in my folks' house and is a large portrait of my mother holding my young nephew (he is now 19!) I wonder what it would look like if I painted it now?

5 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Robin,
I know the feeling you have about your old work... Like our growing, artists' change style. Thank you for sharing your precious work.
Cheers,
Sadami

Marian Fortunati said...

I love that "old" painting. Isn't it wonderful when you see things you did a long time ago and discover that even back then and even if now you are a lot better and perhaps would paint it differently.... Well... It was DARN good then!!!

Lovely!

patricia walsh said...

I have just had great success with a limited palette of cad yellow light, ultramarine blue, white and madder lake deep........of course it just happened this morning after a week of being stuck with color confusion! I just had to respond when I read your post and had had the same sort of experience this very morning!

Linda Popple said...

Looks to me as though you've always been good! :-)

Paula Guhin said...

Robin,
The little oil study is lovely! It is 6x6 Inches, right? I really like it tons.
Paula at mixedmediamanic.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...