Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Subway Start




16x20 oil on panel

I thought I'd share this new painting. I usually can paint this size in a sitting. But I think I must have broken up the morning by going to a class at the gym. So its still a work in progress. You can see how I start though. This is on a gessoed hardboard (Ampersand) which I "primed" with a gray housepaint.
The big X across the panel helps me accurately place things from my reference material. I learned this from Jeanette LaGrue. She even had little viewfinder cut out of mat with string across the opening to help compose our plein air work. It's a neat little trick.

2 comments:

Tammy Hext said...

Looks like a great start.

n warner said...

Looks great...like seeing the perspective from the very beginning and the string trick...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...