Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Platform


6x6 oil on panel
$100 + $6.50 s/h

I'm working on some subterranean scenes and enjoying the strange lighting effects found in the subways of NY. I want to do a large painting of the scene above and thought I'd do this smaller scale version. The trouble is, its a lot to fit into a tiny space. I find that trying to get a whole body into a 6x6 format is too restrictive. I find myself getting closer and closer to the painting, trying to sharpen the edges of my brush and paint tiny details. Luckily, I had to stop this a.m. to go to the gym and so ended it before I got too tight.

The E Train

12x8 oil on panel

Ask Castle Gallery about this painting.

This was done a week or so ago and I took it to Indiana with me for the reception. I'm working on a similar scene with a longer view of the train and more passengers. I was really proud of this painting when I finished it. My favorite part, oddly enough, is the reflections on the pole by the man!

5 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Robin... I just love your "people" paintings...
I'm curious.... When you do these little ones are they USUALLY done with a large one in mind or do you do most of them just for themselves?

My favorite is the guy on the bus.. It's fabulous!!!

Robin Cheers said...

Hi Marian!
Usually I do these small paintings just for themselves. I find that certain scenes lend themselves to the small format especially well. This one didn't. I had the idea for the larger first and thought I'd practice. I think for me, a close-up view works best on a small scale.

John Fraissinet said...

Really love these NY shots. The framing of the top one, and the angle of the second are very interesting.

Dawn Chandler said...

These are gorgeous.

Linny D. Vine said...

This is wonderful; loose with lots of light.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...