Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Varnish

I sat down to varnish today finally. I've had several paintings that need it, but its been so cold I couldn't do it outside. The house stinks now and I felt lightheaded all afternoon - jk! - but the work is ready to go to galleries now.

As I was varnishing this restaurant scene, I was struck by the difference it made in the colors. So I thought I'd share. The left side is varnished, the right is not. Its quite dull in comparison. When you thin your paint with OMS or some other solvent, you break down the oil - so the paint will dry duller. Since I paint a lot of fat over lean, my paintings can really vary from gloss to flat, so I like to varnish everything to bring the colors to life, create an even surface, and of course, protect the painting from dirt, dust, oils, smoke and other environmental hazards.

3 comments:

Denise Rose said...

What an amazing difference! Do you wait the six months that they recommend to varnish them? What brand of varnish do you like to use? I am "new again" to painting and always like to see what other artists use for things like this. Thanks for showing this!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Being new to oils I found this a great post. How long did you need to wait before you could varnish? Can you share ... what kind of varnish would you recommend? Thanks ... beautiful painting. I love the interior shots. They always look warm and inviting.

Jane said...

Beautiful painting, such a warm atmosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...