Friday, November 20, 2009

Artistic Drought

What an enjoyable lunch I had yesterday. I met with 4 other artist friends and we talked about life, art, business and family. I am so blessed to have such a great group of people who share something in common with me. My family can't quite understand or know what art is and how joyful it can be, and how low it can bring you. I am at a low right now. I can't paint. I'm sitting here going through my photos, through sketchbooks, watching the rain fall outside, and nothing is sparking my imagination. Its frustrating, to say the least. I know I need to relax. I know I need to push through some of the starts I have sitting around.
On the other hand, I can't force it. Its been an incredible year for me. New representation across the country, selling work internationally, shows, awards, travel, and a large body of work. I have some 60 paintings out at galleries right now. There was a time when doing half that many in a year was inconceivable. I owe my growth, in part, to this "daily painting concept" that was born out of Duane Keiser's genius. I still boggle at the explosion of art and artists who are directly reaching their audience through the internet now. Which has created an even larger community for me to share with and learn from.
Yesterday's spot was nice and comfortable, but lacked patrons and good lighting... so I think I will take myself off to... Starbucks! Maybe there I will at least feel less daunted by my empty easel and palette sitting there gaping at me. I will post another cat painting I did yesterday next. (above)

6 comments:

Tammy Hext said...

Thanks for posting about your drought. I have been having a similar week. I have some ideas percolating for a larger series which I am busy getting stretchers made for and seem unable or unwilling to work on anything else in the meantime. Hope you push through it soon.

Donna B. said...

Hi Robin. Have you read Julia Cameron's THE ARTTIST'S WAY? She talks of artists forming Sacred Circles. Sounds like that is what you have established for yourself with your fellow artist friends. I love her book, Julia talks of "Art is an act of the soul, not the intellect" and how our dreams and visions are sacred. We invoke our trust with our fellow artisans, sharing our visions of creativity...

patricia walsh said...

It is always interesting to hear when other artists share their frustrations and doubts. I often believe that I am the only painter in existence who struggles even though, intellectually, I know this is ridiculous. You paint beautifully and probably cannot think of one other activity you would rather be doing. When I reach a stuck spot I have learned that I need to add some visual stimulation and experience outside of the studio - this seems to teach me that all of my experiences and memories add to that inspiration bank and allows me to value the time spent not painting as important as well (not if it lasts too long of course). Take heart.

Sherrie Russ Levine said...

I can't imagine that you're having a draught, maybe a little dry spell but not a draught. This just means you need to try something new... pick up a pallette knife and do something really different and see how it turns out. You may just like it. I'm going to look up the book The Artist's Way, it sounds great...Hope you have a restful & Happy Thanksgiving!!!

A Painter's Journal said...

Thanks for all your encouragement everyone. This week is likely to be quiet in the studio again... but for other reasons. Maybe a few days of focusing elsewhere will help. I so agree with Patricia... needing some stimulation outside the studio!

A friend at my "coffee" the other day mentioned starting a reading group to go through the "Artist's Way" - I hope we do it. I have never read it.

A Painter's Journal said...

Sherrie - The thing that got me most excited to experiment recently was remembering your "vignettes" from your sketchbook. I loved those! You should share them on your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...