Tuesday, October 08, 2013

No Water Crossing


12x12 oil on panel
Available at Kerrville Arts & Culture Center

Another of my paintings from the KOPE this past weekend.

This is a creek/river but it was completely dry this year. We've had more rains in Central Texas but they are spotty and while we might get an inch or 2 in town (or 5 in Pflugerville a couple of weeks ago) somewhere else might get none. And the lakes are filled from rains much farther upstream. I guess the rain hasn't been happening there as Lake Travis and Lake Buchanan are still only 33% full - combined!

The cottonwoods were just beginning to turn and placed so nicely against the limestone bluff that it provided a nice colorful scene despite the morning clouds.
I see things now that I'd change but I don't know....leave it as a sketch or make it more finished?

I tend to treat my plein air work as sketches. Some artists like to make their paintings complete and quite representational. But I strive for looseness in all my work and don't like to spend too long on one scene. The sun moves so quickly, too, that you really can't or you will be changing the work continuously. Better to start a new painting.

A lot of people don't realize this area of Texas is so hilly - the painting from yesterday is a good example. Here are some photos from the area. 
looking east Collins Ranch
West from Collins Ranch
View from Kerrville Hills Winery
Lovely Longhorn

1 comment:

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

J'aime beaucoup cette dernière peinture que vous nous présentez.
De très jolies nuances de couleurs...

J'apprécie également les photos de votre pays et qui me permets de mieux connaître les lieux qui vous inspirent.

Une très jolie publication.

Gros bisous à vous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...