Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Firestorm

I'm trying hard to wrap my brain around painting, and even puttered in my studio - alternately planning some things and rearranging the mess, but spending a great deal of time surfing internet news on the fires raging in central Texas.

If you haven't heard in the daily painter's community yet, Carol Marine's home is certainly a loss and probably several other artist friends have lost their homes out in Bastrop, but I haven't heard of them yet. The loss of property and the environmental impact is huge but I am so thankful loss of life is minimal - only 2 deaths that I have heard yet.

Now fires are about 2 miles from my community in NW Austin, but
I have no fears of them spreading here. But all my thoughts are for my neighbors, friends, the animals and livestock, the firefighters and my poor Texas suffering insult after the injury of this dreadful summer drought.

I thought I'd share an ancient painting of mine, "Windswept", a scene from Round Top, Texas that I painted maybe around '05. Its an old favorite.

13 comments:

schilderijenfoto said...

Great post, beautiful painting, thanks for mentioning the Texas fire and losses.

Marian Fortunati said...

I've been following the news ... it's terrible.
I hope you and yours will be safe.

Unknown said...

The painting is beautiful! I'm so sorry to hear about Carol Marine's home! Let us know if there is any way that we bloggers can help!

Darla McDowell said...

I live in the Texas panhandle, Robin, and this morning, we could smell the smoke from the awful fires in your area. It's heartbreaking. Sending prayers and good thoughts to you. Please stay safe.

Jacki Newell said...

Love that painting. You really captured the windswept feeling. We are praying for Texas.

Victor Errington said...

Good morning Robin. It`s 09.54 here.
This painting is a truly beautiful Painting, and I can understand Why you want to keep it. Yes I agree with you about Carol and the rest of
our Artist`s friends, also none Artist`s who are caught up in this terrible tragedy. Lets pray that they put these Fires out as soon as
they can. All the best Robin.
Beautiful painting.
Vic.

Elaine Hurst said...

I too have been following Carol Marine and her familys' terrible loss of their home, as well as the fires all around in TX. 2 miles! This huge family of artists have a collective wave of thoughts and prayers going out to everyone in TX who may be suffering from the fires. Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

nice painting really.

Farbwahn

Sheila Foley said...

Wish I could send some of our rain out your way. We just had Hurricane Irene and then a few nice days, then rain again. Lots of flooding. Been thinking about you and other friends in Texas. Sending prayers as long as I can't send rain.

Marie Theron said...

Robin, I think of you all. My daughter lives in Texas and their nearest park and favorite picnic area has burnt to cinders. The world prays with you for some relief to the drought!

A very lovely landscape, inside yourself one can see you are calm and serene!

shirley fachilla said...

Very glad to hear that you feel in no danger from the fires. I keep thinking of Carol and of all the others who have lost so much.
I love your painting. In it, you've done my favorite landscape thing, taken an ordinary scene and shown its beauty and power.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

This is a beautiful painting. Thoughts of Texas have also been on my mind, and I was so sad to hear that Carol Marine and her family lost their home and studio.
I also wish that I could share this rain we are currently having in Pennsylvania. It appears that we are gong to have worse flooding than what occured in 1972 with Hurricane Agnes. Such a strange year, and such incredible weather that we have experienced here in the US.

Kirk Witmer said...

Drought in TX and flooding in PA.
Makes me wonder: If we can create a pipeline to move oil, why can't we do up a pipeline to move water? We certainly have the know-how.
Maybe it's because there's more profit in the oil.
And that's a really cool painting Robin!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...