Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Corner of the National Gallery


17x12 oil on cardboard

This is very much in the style of Toulouse-Lautrec. If you hadn't yet guessed, he is one of my favorites. I had this cardboard - something called museum board actually - laying around my studio and I wanted to try to paint on it directly like Henri did so long ago. Its a very thin cardboard, and somewhat brittle. It will crack easily. But it was a fun experiment with - I left a lot of the board showing through the paint, using it almost entirely to represent the floor of the gallery.
The painting the art lovers are looking at is "A Corner of the Moulin de la Galette" by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.

PS - I want to send a huge thank you to all my friends out there who had such high praise for yesterday's piece. You really made my day! Its so nice to have feedback and to be part of this new-age artist's community.

2 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

and in a hundred years, the museum curator will be cussin' you for creating a masterpiece on cardboard! LOL (not about the art, but about the comment)

Anonymous said...

yes, yesterday's painting is grand! I noted as well that T=L did his work on cardboard, mostly pastels. The medium must add fluency to the brush stroke. Looks really good, and enchanting to me that I have just revisited those rooms the other week myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...