Thursday, March 10, 2011

Birds Eye Views


After Lunch
12x12 oil on 2" cradled gessoboard


Crosswalk
14x11 oil on 2" cradled gessoboard


On the Plaza
12x12 oil on 2" cradled gessoboard

All available at Russell Collection

These are the last of the pieces I painted for the Best of Texas show. I really like these overhead views and was sort of testing them out in this market. I'd like to do some larger ones. Maybe really big. (for me, that might be 24x36) People seemed to like them so I am going to do for it.
I enjoy doing these because they are more simple and graphic in design, the shadows often are the most interesting part. I like cast shadows. I have fun with them in the museum paintings too - where a person is in the spotlight and their shadow falls on the wall with the paintings. These more modern pieces are hung unframed too on the cradled hardboard.

I've been lazing about here for the last week. I think I just needed some downtime. I had so much going on between Girl Scouts, Destination Imagination and prepping for this show. Its been nice to just "be" for awhile. And do some spring gardening. Next week is our spring break so I can do a little more R&R and then back to work. Ideas are forming!

Oh - and there is one more exciting thing going on in conjunction with Russell Collection and this show. Their Best of Texas artists have been invited to create a work on the theme of "hope" for the new Seton Breast Cancer Center. Each artist will paint a 24x24 canvas which will be previewed at Russell Collection April 6-10 in honor of Susan Lubin.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Such clever compositions! Love these paintings!

Linda Popple said...

These are really beautiful! I love the perspective and the abstract quality. I could just sit and stare!

Virginia Floyd said...

These are wonderful, Robin. Love that you leave a large expanse of pavement with large shadows, while the figures occupy a lesser space. Very interesting, graphic quality. Really good job on the perspective with these people too!

Kay said...

wow..like this series and cool show stuff..

Anthony Duce said...

Like the paintings. Love the point of view.

LindaHunt said...

Very, very nice. I can see where a large painting would be very effective.

Art with Liz said...

Love these. This is one of my favourite angles to paint figures from and you've got them perfectly.

Marian Fortunati said...

Wow... you just keep 'em coming!!! It's always a treat to visit!

Diana Moses Botkin said...

That bird's eye view has always been fascinating to me, too. I love what you've painted. The figures really move.

SKIZO said...

FabulousWorkThankYouForSharing

The Pottering Artist said...

Genius! I adore those violet shadow that tell of a hot hot sun and people stepping out in the dry heat. Wonderful. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...