Friday, November 30, 2007

Taxi Traffic


5x7 oil on panel
sold

I've wanted to paint a NY cab for a while - such a quintessential part of life in the Big Apple. It might be the only place where cabbies drive around looking for riders and you can step off a curb, throw up your hand and they spot you from a block or more away.
I really got into that.

NOW. Whether this painting is successful I am not sure. Turns out cars are hard to paint. I sure worked and worked on it. I hope someone likes it.

7 comments:

Mark Adams said...

Robin,
I really like your New York series. I’ve been there quite a few times and you’ve captured the essence of the city beautifully. You mentioned in your Blog Tag that you ”know nothing about [oil paint’s] technical properties” but it’s clear you know composition. “Breakfast at 1886” and “Table Setting” (among others) attest to the fact. Your signature always makes me smile. As my British friend, Ian says: “Cheers!”

A Painter's Journal said...

Thanks so much Mark.

As for the "technical aspects" of the paint - I know people who study the materials and know the oil's properties and so on. I can't get into the science of it, though I know "fat over lean" and other important concepts regarding the aging of the paint.

Cheers!

Sheila Vaughan said...

Fantastic painting Robin. A lovely loose style and the feeling of a big, busy city, also as the others said great composition.

m collier said...

Great colors and composition !!

Carol Nelson said...

Ditto what Sheila said. I love your work.

A Reason to Paint said...

Hi Robin, I've really enjoyed looking at your blog. Yes cars are hard to paint but I think you've nailed it, there is some nice movement to this one.

Bill Brauker said...

Nice one. I feel the movement and energy of the city in this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...