Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Making Expressive Paintings

Time passes and I have to look at my blog first to see what I've posted.Wow! Has it been that long?

I've gotten the girl back to school. She is very excited to be a 5th grader. And I am very glad to get back to a routine and have hours of studio time. The early mornings are tough tho. 

Yesterday I met V.... for hot chocolate and painting. I started a chef scene. Will finish it today. Also, I'm shipping out some work for the Farm to Table show at DK Gallery this week. 

I continue to think a lot about my work and am considering workshops or maybe asking someone - some "master" - to mentor me and help me push through to the next level. Less representational, more expressive. But I am not sure that can be taught. I think I just have to be willing to risk messing up a good painting to create something that is great. I have to stop analyzing and correcting until the soul is gone. 

The painting below has been on my easel a month now. I like it. But there are certainly things that are incorrect or odd looking. But if I go over it and make changes, won't I tighten it up and just create another average picture?

untitled, 18x18 oil on cradled panel

If I look at Dan McCaw or Tom Balderas - two amazing expressive impressionists - their perspective is off, their figures not perfectly rendered, etc. They are still much looser than I, but I am working my way there. Slowly! And I think that is part of the secret too. Their paintings might look random and messy but they have worked very hard to create that illusion. I imagine every stroke is planned and put down and left alone.

3 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

You really are pushing yourself artistically, Robin - it's good. I agree - I believe the expression and emotionality must come from within, and cannot be taught [unfortunately].
Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin,

I love your painting! I would leave it just as it is without any more touch-ups.

Unknown said...

I think you just answered your question... the piece on the easel seems perfect the way it is! You could tweak and tweak, but then you would be removing some of the painterly effects that really make it a personal expression from the artist (you). Your thoughts here are much like my own, though. I look at work that I admire and I try to imagine what the artist was thinking as he did it, to achieve those effects that I strive for too. It's a gorgeous painting Robin, I would be so pleased and proud if I had painted that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...