Thursday, April 12, 2007

Seven Strokes



oil on paper

My friend and fellow artist V Vaughan inspired me to try this "technique". Today I painted at her farm with Plein Air Austin and did several scenes using just seven brushtrokes. The idea is to plan the values and colors and how you'll lay it in, and load your brush and not lift while you make your strokes. It was a great experiment and I really enjoyed the exercise. I also found that it was a great way to lay a scene in quickly allowing more time to dabble with deatils while the light remains. I wonder if this would work for figures/cafes?

2 comments:

bj said...

I am really intrigued by the 7 stroke method. The painting is so lively! I must try it. Thanks for the idea.

Kim Edge said...

So bright and simple. Beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...